Adaptive Trade Leadership in A Globalised World
A unique online educational experience designed to equip mid-senior business leaders with the technical trade knowledge and advance complex and adaptive thinking capabilities required to succeed in today’s global business environment.
A world-class collaboration between the Institute for International Trade (IIT), Global Trade Professionals Alliance (GTPA) and The University of Sussex (UoS), designed to provide you with a strong foundation in the dynamics of complexity and leadership, as well as the trade knowledge and key skills required to transform your leadership effectiveness, problem solving skills, and ability to respond strategically to trade issues.
Adaptive Trade Leadership in a Globalised World (Online) is designed to equip mid-senior managers from across the globe with a strong foundation in the dynamics of complexity and leadership, as well as the key skills and trade knowledge required to transform their leadership effectiveness, problem solving skills, and ability to strategically address trade issues. This trade leadership program is held over a four-month period to provide leaders with the opportunity to instil and apply the lessons learned to their organisational context.
During this time, participants will engage in deep experiential learning and remain closely connected to the program through a combination of:
- Access to a custom designed online learning platform where you can access your learning materials, interact with program facilitators and peers, and engage in a combination of flexible and structured online learning activities and obtain feedback;
- Virtual experiential learning modules and workshops, which enable participants to work around their schedules whilst also providing structured opportunities for meaningful interaction with facilitators and peers;
- Tools, frameworks, and practices proven to help participants effectively address workplace challenges and enhance their capacity to lead and influence global teams;
- Online, simulated global business cases which provide participants with the opportunity to explore and address major challenges facing global businesses, and to apply their learning to create sustainable change;
- Discussions and networking opportunities with leading experts from government and the private sector; and
- Purposeful interactions with peers outside the virtual classroom.
Delivered in collaboration with world-leading online education designer, Practera, participants engage in a highly experiential online educational offering which fully exploits the latest cutting-edge developments in online education design and pedagogy.
Who is this for?
Mid-senior business managers involved in international trade, procurement, global value chain management, and trade policy professionals.
What will you learn?
At the conclusion of this four month program, participants will have covered the following key trade and leadership topics:
- The foundations of Adaptive Leadership
- Understanding mindset and how we make decisions
- Leadership and complexity / unpredictability
- Identifying simple, complicated and complex aspects of problems and how to respond
- Observation & Interpretation: understanding the actions, behaviours and patterns of others and their impact
- Change and loss
- Multiple perspectives: considering multiple viewpoints and generating multiple interpretations and solutions
- Tools and techniques to act and make process on complex challenges
- Understanding the global trading system
- Identifying and managing the business impact of trade policy
- Navigating geopolitics and the weaponisation of trade
- Building resilience in global value chains (GVCs)
- Sustainable global supply chains
- Managing social Issues through effective trade policy and practices
- Digital transformation
- The future of work
Why should you enrol in this program?
Today’s leaders operate in an increasingly complex and unpredictable environment in which change occurs at an unprecedented speed and magnitude. The future is uncertain, and problems often transcend the boundaries of single organisations or professions. Leaders have always stood ready to help bridge the divide between an untenable present and an uncertain future, and today the need for leaders with the skills and confidence to chart a path for their organisations into a future that is increasingly information-rich but certainty-poor is stronger than ever before.
A recent study reported by Duke University found that 89% of executives considered the need to strengthen, re-engineer and improve organisational leadership to be an important priority. While 86% of respondents to a recent survey conducted by the World Economic Forum strongly agreed the world is facing a ‘leadership crisis’ today. A similar global study conducted by Deloitte, found that trade barriers were viewed as the highest risk to business growth, with respondents noting the potential for disruptions that could have ripple effects across their global supply chains. This is consistent with the International Monetary Fund’s recent assertion that trade tensions and policy uncertainty are currently the greatest risks to the international economy. With the recent global pandemic, trade uncertainties are at unprecedented levels.
Mastery of traditional leadership skills is no longer sufficient to guarantee success. Today’s leaders require advanced complex and adaptive thinking capabilities to bring together diverse groups of people to collectively intuit a path forward in these uncertain times. They must cultivate the true agility modern organisations require to successfully navigate the emerging global trading environment.
Will you receive formal certification?
Participants will receive ISO/IEC 17024 certification as a global trade professional as well as qualify for participation in the Seven Summits Challenge (SSTC). The SSTC provides the ultimate career pathway for global trade and supply chain professionals to continue to grow through a combination of strategy, theory, technical trade skills and trade policy knowledge, ensuring that individuals and organisations are equipped to conduct profitable global trade as well as provide a pathway for trade.
Register your interest
Need more information?
Contact us today to find out how we can help you or your organisation take advantage of the opportunities presented by today’s global economy.